Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dub-Metal?

Today, California based rock band, Korn, released its 10th studio album. The album entitled "The Path of Totality" takes the band's sound in a new direction. It is still heavy, it is still metal, but the band features a dub-step dj/producer on each of the 13 new tracks. Even though I'm a long-time Korn fan, I really wanted to hate this album, but I can't. I'm digging it.

"Let's Go", "Sanctuary", and "Narcissistic Cannibal" are all worthy of listening to on repeat. I was worried that this new sound would be too great of a departure from what makes Korn Korn, but it isn't. The band has managed to successfully immerse dub-step and drum-step into their sound as if it were effortless. While I do enjoy this album, I hope that this isn't the future of Korn. I am fine with them including some of these sounds and experiments in future works, but I don't want another album that is all dub-metal.

For now, I'm just going to keep my headphones on and enjoy this very intriguing new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment